Friday, August 27, 2010

Acceptance

A leaf fluttered in through the window this morning, as if supported by the rays of the sun, a bird settled on the fire escape, joy in the task of coffee, joy accompanied me as I walked.

After a month here in Pitas, I could look you in the eye and say, "I'm fine here" with so much honesty that it could make you cry at how much this whiny person has changed. After much soul-searching (for the lack of better term), I am so thankful to God for this opportunity to live my dream. Though it might not be a bed of roses with very few good days in between, I believe in good karma.

I have 25 teaching hours per week. Five classes (Form 1, Form 2 and Form 4). I've expressed my interest in teaching Form 4 and I got it, but Form 1 and 2? 

Dread! 
Fortunately, I was proven wrong. Dead wrong

After a week teaching them, I realized that teaching the lower secondary students has its own charm. Kids have little inhibitions, eager for attention and they generally rock your life by making your lesson plans come true. Ask them to act, sing, dance, and mime, etc they will do it...just as long they like you.

My Form 4 kids have so much potential, but with years of very minimum exposure to English, they need to work harder than most people.Can you imagine not knowing what a blog is in this digital age?
It's devastating! 
Gandhi once said, be the change you want to see in the world.
Baby steps, Jess.

Wow, I'm actually talking about serious stuff!
Teacher-talk suits me just fine, yeah?

All is fine and acceptable for now. 
My first salary which is around 3kplus is still untouched. (WIN!)
Not much but it's 100% mine :) All mine!
Twirl now,
Because we have a lot to spin and skip about.

6 comments:

Amanda Christine Wong said...

wait, u get the p2 allowance?! bitch! glad to know that u've finally settled and not whining about pitas aka tmpt org kampung (like u said!) anymore... and surely, nobody has rocked their world like u do ;)

Anonymous said...

wow!!!! 3kplus???? pnyla best dpt duit sendiri~~~

carolchs said...

1st salary 3k plus! wow, siok tu. me teaching for 6 years pun baru dpt 3k plus...but then, thats the prize for not wanting to teach in kampung la. :)

i love reading you new teachers punya experience...kinda re-motivates teachers like me (altho just a few years older) cos somehow, after few years of teaching, the spirit and energy to teach pandai sink in due to some factors. Keep on sharing!

Nina Manson said...

My first salary which is around 3kplus is still untouched.<<-- SALUTE!! How do you do that? I'm so curious. Lol.

Cynta said...

Wah..you can adjust within a month from posting? CONGRATS!! It took me nearly three months to adjust in LD (sekolah bandar lagi tu) hehehehe...

By the way, I agree when you say teaching Form 1 and 2 students has its own charm. I've been teaching Form 1 and 2 students for two years now and I loved every single moment of it. I think this is the time where we could encourage them to take risks in learning and experiment.

Bah, rajin2 update blog ah...siok mo baca cerita2 kamu :-) Take care!!

Miss Jess_Lyne said...

Manda: I know i've been such a downer! hahaha WHINY kan. But i'm ok now...i think :)

Nini: memang siok!

Chegu Carol: will do. Being a real teacher is not as fun as practicum, much 'better'..hehe.

Nina: because at where i am now, the most you could spend on is food...hehe.

Cynta: Paksa diri to adjust..hehe. I'm taking my cue from you sis:)Will try to blog often :) You too ah!